Friday, September 2, 2011

State Fair!

I can't explain how much I love the State Fair!
It's such a fun time. 
However, it is yet another sign that summer is almost over.

The kids love it almost as much as me (which I'm pretty sure I inherited from my mom, thanks ma). I gave Gram a ticket for her birthday (last week) and we took the girls during the day. 
First stop: the miracle of birth center. It's a great place to see the animals up close and the babies too! Maren told stories about the video she saw of a calf birth (chains and all - she said they pulled it out of the mom's butt :)).

Lillian figured she belonged inside of the pens as she attempted with all her might to crawl right over the fence. My little monkey.

Maren sucks her thumb when she's overwhelmed or when she touches something silky. We are trying to discourage it more as she gets older but THIS is cute.

We scored free frozen custard for having good timing at Custard's Last Stand!
A big cup full. Lucky girls. We'll stop there every year now. It was great. Find them right outside the Grandstand.
Note: I am not a fan of strollers at the fair but during the day is USUALLY slower and Grandma and I can only handle so much so we packed the kids into them.


We trucked it to the pet building and watched an Australian Shepherd demo. They asked for a young volunteer, to which my mom and I offered up Maren. She got to go in the ring and pet the dogs. She loves dogs. She gave one a hug around the neck, which was pretty much the point of asking in a youngster. Way to go, girl. It did make Lilly pretty jealous. She wants to do whatever her sister does.

Right behind us, the Great Sing Along! A Karaoke set up, new this year at the fair. Maren is a total performer. She ate this right up.
sure she can't read the screen but she didn't care. 


- the song: Purple Rain, Prince. Can't tell? I know, too much laughing. Everyone loved her. I laughed so hard I was crying while taking this. (Hence the unsteady hand. I mean, how could you NOT laugh?)

We watched almost all of the parade and then it was getting so late we had to take the kids home for a rest. They slept like rocks for almost 2 hours when we woke them up to head back! Yep, once Matt got home we packed 'em back up and went for more! We ride the bus in. It's so easy(and free). Not to mention it is like an amusement park ride in itself.  

When I go with Matt we brave the evening crowd by using the backpack. We hit up the milk ($1 for all you can drink). While there Lilly saw everyone eating those Sweet Martha's Cookies. I can eat 1, maybe 2 so we never buy them as they only come in large quantities. Since the girls are so lucky (or maybe it's because they're so cute) they managed to have someone offer them the rest of their cookies! Amazing! Now, cookies and milk and it's not even dinner time.


 Maren had to walk by the kid-way earlier today and it wasn't easy. I told her she could pick one ride and go with Dad later. She had her eye on the Sky Glider. And that's what she picked as her one ride. Up and over the grounds they went!


...right up to the Great Sing Along for the last 3 songs of the night. We even ran into a friend! Hi, to Alex and Millie from ECFE!
Maren continues to belt it out.

The kids did great. We were home by 9 or so and they were still up. They crashed hard. Lillian slept till 9am the next morning! Thanks for an amazing family day, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment