Monday, May 23, 2011

Spring Fling

I joined a MOMS club last year. It is an international club with local chapters. Their goal: Moms Offering Moms Support. It is great to get together with other moms. They put together a great calendar in case you need something to do. I've tried to be active in the club. In May our chapter does a Spring Fling. We went last year and had a fun time. This year I volunteered to do a craft project. (I feel bad not for volunteering for this sort of thing being that I have an art degree.) Then I had to come up with an idea. It became and art project, not a craft. I wanted something easy that could be left out for the kids, something more than sidewalk chalk. I wanted something not messy since there wouldn't be a sink for washing up. I needed something washable so we weren't staining clothes. I ended up using something similar to what we did at the Children's Museum last summer on their art deck. I bought squirt bottles and a big set of Crayola washable watercolor cakes. It took two cakes in each bottle to make it dark enough to work. I am glad I prepped early for this so I had time to problem solve. The dollar squirt bottles didn't work so well but the kids seem to love it. Here's Maren working on her art:
 (Mom this is why I needed clothes pins)

The onlooker



The park has a nice playground. Maren loves the swings.


 Lilly does too.
 Check out the green "grass" underneath her. It's a new addition to the park. Half of the playground is now covered with this fake lawn. It is super nice. It looks real, feels real, but has no weeds, doesn't need mowing or water - I need this stuff for my yard.

Unfortunately we didn't have picture perfect weather. Despite the weather we had good attendance and it was still a blast. The large shelter helped. Maren doesn't hide from the rain though. She's out lying around in it and jumping in puddles. 


At the end we do an egg hunt. There are tons of eggs thrown onto the lawn. It is a great time. Thanks to all the moms who helped make it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment